Monday, February 15, 2010

Day at the doctor and dentist

Someone please tell me why I thought taking Karly to the dentist for a 7:45 am appointment was a good idea?

For some reason I thought taking her at 7:45 am would be great that way I could get in two appointments today without a problem. Great in theory but not great in reality, we were rushing out the door to get to the dentist. We made it with two minutes to spare (which in my crazy head is late.... I hate to be late for anything!) While rushing out the door I didn't think to take any of the paperwork that the dentist sent us and that I took my time filling out with every detail. Nope, forgot it! Since I knew we had to be at the next appointment by 9:15 am I flew threw the form (replacement form) and missed a ton of information. I felt so bad but I didn't want to hold up her appointment.

So we were called into the room and it was so cute. I have never been to a pediatric dentist office before. All the exam chairs were kid sized and it was so warm and welcoming. Not how I remember my dentist office. Anyway Karly was greeted by the nicest dental assistant. She explained everything and asked all kinds of questions. It was great. I was already blown away by the staff and the office. The dentist came in and he was very nice, very friendly. He examined her teeth and she just laid there with her mouth open. So calm and still!!! Not sure who took my child at this moment and replaced her with a calm one but she did it.

As a parent of a child that has many doctors appointment you get used to all kinds of doctors, the nice ones but don't really seem to care, the ones who are just cold and don't care, all kinds. By this point I am completely sold on this office and dentist, and then they blew me away........HE ACTUALLY DID RESEARCH ON HER CONDITION BEFORE WE CAME IN. The dentist!!!! Unbelievable! I can't get her pediatrician to do research on her condition but the dentist did! I was so impressed. In fact I am switching Ethan to them as well.

OK first appointment down, one to go. Her next appointment was at Hershey Medical Center with her geneticist, Dr. Ladda. He has always been my favorite doctor of Karly's. When she was diagnosed, he was the only one who gave us any hope. He was also the only one who had ever heard of WHS. I was really looking forward to this appointment. I love that we can ask him questions about any part of her health because is truly the main doctor for her diagnosis. Genetics!

We had no issues getting in, we got their on time (I mean 10 minutes early) and only waited for a few minutes which was nice so we could see some of the nurses who have cared for Karly in the past. As usual at Hershey, we saw a medical student first which we are used to and expect since it is a teaching hospital. He was very nice and listened to our list of questions. Then we got to meet with Dr. Ladda, the genetics counselor and the med. student. We probably spent 45 minutes to an hour with them. Just talking about how she is doing and what we see and our concerns. I LOVE IT!! I never say that about appointments but he is just so good. He came in and just says how normal she looks. To him she doesn't have the label that she has everywhere else. It is so refreshing. I think he has a soft spot for Miss Karly too, as most people do. As we left there I just feel refreshed too and ready to take on the world and issues that come along with her condition.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't met her yet, but I have a soft spot for Miss Karly, too. When I see her pictures, it gives me hope for my own daughter, who is still too young for me to really understand what her future may hold. She redefines for me what it means to have a child with WHS!<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear that all your appointments went well... Life is a bit hectic sometimes with a child with WHS, so its rereshing to hear that you left your aapointments so positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a pretty good day. We haven't ever met with a geneticist but all your gushing over Dr. Ladda makes me want to see him too! :) Give Karly a hug for me. I just love her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your post. we're meeting with Dr. Ladda for the first time in january as my daughter has suspected Russell Silver Syndrome.
    I was scared to death at the last appt (and strung out on Twizzlers from the chocolate tour) so thank you!.
    www.sweetmaggiemay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete